The aim of this blog is to connect fly-tyers all over the world, to share, techniques, patterns, information and knowledge.

Image

UV Caddis Pupa. The difference is clear!

Here are some UV Caddis tied for fishing at the weekend in the mountain lakes in Norway.

IMG_2879

Although they look tasty with natural light, You can really see how they pop with the UV light. I cant wait to test them!

IMG_2871

11 responses

1. Donald Wyckoff , AKA = Zekietumber

Do the fish see in a UV light spectrum or is their vision like ours is in natural light ??
    This might just show how little I know about Fish but I am not the brightest bulb in the house , so I am told,

Zekietumber

May 29, 2013 at 11:51 pm

• Hi Donald, From what I can gather from recent research all animals and insects see in the UV spectrum, but there is some dispute regarding mammals. They use the UV spectrum to find food and mates. I haven’t tied or fished for that matter with UV materials before so it will be interesting to give it a go. I will be posting any significant results later in the year.

Cheers

Barry

May 30, 2013 at 11:24 am

2. it’s a well-known fact that fish carry UV lights to be able to see modern flies better ! 😆

May 30, 2013 at 2:00 pm

3. Hello there.
    I’m interested how the results will be after you fished those nymps.
    There are tied nicely.Good luck anyway.

May 31, 2013 at 4:02 pm

• Hi Rene, I will be testing the UV materials all summer so I will be posting my findings later.

Cheers

Barry

June 5, 2013 at 8:11 am

4. Chris Watson

I will be very interested to see how they work, I have tied some nymphs using dubbing containing a small quantity of uv material. They certainly catch fish but whether they are any more successful than those without the uv materials, I am not sure. My feeling is that I need to trial them more and compare results before I can reach any conclusion.

June 4, 2013 at 9:02 pm

• Hi Chris, unfortunately my weekend fishing in the mountains was cold and wet, about 50 mm of rain and the largest lake was still covered in ice, so the testing of the UV material will continue throughout the season. I hope to go fishing this weekend, weather permitting on some small mountain lakes a couple of hours drive from home, so we will see.

June 5, 2013 at 8:08 am

5. Nice flies! I don’t know if the materials you used reflect light in the near-UV, we can only see that they are fluorescing – taking in photons in the UV range and immediately emitting photons in the visible range. If you can see it it isn’t UV. 🙂 Fluorescence is not an element of mayfly structure; UV reflectance OTOH can be found in wing patterns and body patterns of the adult mayflies I have photographed. The mayflies need to be able to detect the species and sex of potential mates in very low (visible) light conditions; hence the UV markings.
    A few years ago, I examined the 20+ most popular dry fly patterns of 1984 and found that they consistently used UV reflective natural materials appropriate to the insect they were imitating.

June 27, 2013 at 12:09 am

6. Start applying the first coat of sealer in one direction and
    then apply the second coat in the opposite direction.
    This is especially true if you are riding alone, which is not encouraged, so that someone will be able to
    find you if you become injured. Metal roofing is also lightweight, easy to maintain, and aesthetically appealing, just like asphalt shingles.

March 13, 2014 at 10:00 pm

7. What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity regarding unexpected feelings.

March 15, 2014 at 3:23 am

8. Well, it is not really clear, as the 2nd (supposedly) UV image actually is UV índuced visible fluorescence, i.e. visible light only (produced by shining a UV source to a material which then emits fluorescent light) and NOT reflected UV (which some fish can see)

July 30, 2014 at 12:29 am