The aim of this blog is to connect fly-tyers all over the world, to share, techniques, patterns, information and knowledge.

Tying a detached deer hair body mayfly.

Another deer hair tutorial this time for a detached body. This body technique can be used for all types of detached bodies, daddy’s, midges, caddis flies etc. So give it a go and put it to good use.

Thanks for watching and please remember to subscribe to the feather benders You Tube channel:

6 responses

1. LePoloo Free

Hi Barry, The Youtube link doesnn’t work? It says this channel don’t exist. Cheers

Gerard

January 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm

• Thanks Gerard, I’ll fix it!

January 8, 2017 at 7:47 pm

2. what keeps flys tied with detached bodies, and order hair wings from falling over on the water. the weight/centre of gravity appears high above the hook.

January 8, 2017 at 10:47 pm

• Hi John, on most flies of this design the hook acts as a keel, like on a boat and keeps the fly up-right.

January 9, 2017 at 9:17 am

3. Mike Gibbon

Morning Barry,
    I really enjoy your site but cannot keep up with all your patterns due to a lack of ability (I am a very late convert to the ‘gentle art’) and materials. Although I am gradually building up a stock.
    I was very impressed by your last pattern the deer hair body mayfly,and wondered if you produce flies for sale? I can see this being a really good pattern.
    May I also thank you for the series on the “hare’s mask”, which was really enlightening. Although my wife is a bit dubious regarding the use of the coffee grinder!
    Keep ’em coming and roll on April. ( Mind you I equally enjoy pursuing the Grayling)
    Regards Mike.

Sent from my iPad

January 9, 2017 at 12:45 pm

• Hi Mike, and thanks. Yes it takes a little time to build up a stock of materials and a lot of practice to master the techniques! Yes I do sell flies, the detached body mayfly is Euro 4.50 each, there not cheap but they take time and are tied by me with the very best materials. If you would like to order some flies please send me a e mail order. barrycl@online.no
      All the best