The Slovenian Fly Tying Championship is the oldest fly tying contest in Europe. 2022 will be the 35th year. The competition is organised by Ribiška zveza Slovenije (The Fishing Association of Slovenia). The competition is open to everyone and each year they receive entries from fly tyers all over the world.
Mine will be going in the post on Friday! Good luck everyone…
1. Each fly tier is allowed to compete in each of the categories with one fly only, which must be sent in 2 samples. The chosen fly should not be a part of the tiers participation in any of his/ her previous tying competitions.
2. Package with each sample should contain:
• Known or new name of the fly (in case of a new name, it should be original and short);
• Password to prove the fly’s origin and to identify flytier;
• Description of used materials (Recipe);
• Size and type of the hook used;
• Name of the insect or other animal that is being imitated (if possible a photography as well! *This only applies to the category – Realistic Flies)
3. Jury will automatically reject all samples that will contain natural insect parts (such as wings, legs, etc) as a part of the fly!
4. In the accompanying letter tiers must write their names, mail and e-mail addresses, names of the flies and passwords. Letter should be in the enclosed envelope together with the fly. Copies of those letters must be kept by the authors until the end of the competition.
5. Jury will consider the following criteria:
• Proportions of the fly,
• firmness and technical aspect of the tying,
• suitability of the chosen materials,
• general impression and
• in the 4th category »level of imitation« will be the most important criterion!
6. Jury holds the right to re-classify samples in different categories when appropriate!
7. Decision of the jury is final!
8. Jury will consider all samples that will be sent to the below stated address at latest on January 31st, 2022 (date on a post stamp should be 31/1/2022 or earlier).
9. Please send your flies in a package that prevents them to be destroyed during shipping.
Flies should be sent to the following address:
Ribiska Zveza Slovenije (Fly Tying Championship 2022)
1001 Ljubljana – Slovenia
Considering previous criteria jury will award the best 3 flies in each category with practical prizes, permits for the best Slovenian fly fishing districts and diplomas. All participants will be previously informed about their achievements and invited to the official prize-giving ceremony.
Official Facebook page of the competition: Link
FAS- Fly Tying Jury President: Luka Hojnik
FAS- President : dr. Miroslav Žaberl